Mr. Duncan initially joined Norris Choplin Schroeder in July, 2011 retiring after 38 years of service to the Indianapolis Airport Authority in the roles of general counsel, airport director and special advisor to the CEO, successively. In March, 2012, the Indianapolis Airport Authority recalled Mr. Duncan to serve as Executive Director, a position he held until his second retirement in December 2014. During his tenure, he was responsible for a substantial land acquisition program with over $250 million in expenditures; supervision of human resources and operational departments; and overseeing the day-to-day legal and regulatory issues among the Authority’s six airports, including Indianapolis International Airport. In his role as Executive Director, he had oversight of all aspects of the Authority's six airports and 500 employees. He is an Accredited Airport Executive by the American Association of Airport Executives.
As an active pilot, Mr. Duncan holds Airline Transport Pilot and Flight Instructor Certificates for single and multi-engine aircraft and has more than 8,300 hours of flight experience. Mr. Duncan has served as Chief Flight Instructor at several Indianapolis area flight training facilities and is a former FAA designated pilot examiner which authorized him to test and issue applicants appropriate pilot certificates and ratings as a FAA representative. The FAA has awarded Mr. Duncan with its Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award for over 50 years of accident free flying.
Mr. Duncan frequently lectured on aviation and airport matters at American Association of Airport Executives Specialty Conferences, at Federal Aviation Administration Safety Seminars, at Purdue University aviation classes, and at various continuing legal education seminars. He has been recognized as Indiana's Aviation Man of the Year and has received a Special Recognition Award by Aviation Indiana. In 2011, Mr. Duncan was recognized as a Sagamore of the Wabash by Governor Mitch Daniels.
Among his civic activities, Mr. Duncan is a former adjunct professor of law at the Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis teaching aviation law. He also serves as a moot court judge at the school. He also served as chairman of the Indianapolis Air Show; legislative director for Aviation Indiana; and as a board member and vice-president of the Brownsburg Education Foundation. He is a past board member of the Brownsburg Public Library.
In the past, Mr. Duncan has been heavily involved as a coach and board member to various youth sports organizations. He has also volunteered as a director for the Brownsburg Chamber of Commerce, served as an attorney to the Brownsburg Police Commission and as an Angel Flight pilot.
- Hanover College B.A.
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis J.D.
- State of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Hendricks County Bar Association (Past President)
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Aviation Law Committee of the Indiana State Bar Association
- Aviation Indiana - Board of Directors
- Legislative Committee Chairman of Aviation Indiana - Direct Legislative
- Program of Association, 1987 to present - Drafted over 35 aviation related pieces of legislation that have been enacted into law
- Indianapolis Aero Club
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- American Association of Airport Executives - Accredited Airport Executive, 1987
- Participating Speaker - American Bar Association on Air and Space Law, 1995
- Participating Author - "Aviation Law", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 1994 - 2011
- "Aircraft Fueling - FBO or Airport Operator Responsibility" - The Air and Space Lawyer, Fall 1984 - American Bar Association