Richard L. Norris is a founding partner of Norris Choplin Schroeder LLP. A native of Indiana, Mr. Norris was born in Fort Wayne in 1945 and has practiced law for more than 40 years. He focuses his practice on alternative dispute resolution and a variety of civil litigation matters including aviation.
Mr. Norris is a registered civil mediator who works regularly to facilitate mediation and arbitration on behalf of clients. In addition, he is a trial attorney with experience litigating matters in courts across the Midwest. Among his legal experience, Mr. Norris has served as a medical review panel chairman. He is an advocate of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
In 2008, Mr. Norris was recognized by the Litigation Section of the Indiana State Bar Association with the Outstanding Professionalism and Civility Award.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Norris worked as an insurance underwriter and independent agent. He is an active pilot, having logged in excess of 3,300 hours, and currently holds an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with Instrument and Multi-Engine Ratings. He is also a Certified Flight Instructor for single and multi-engine aircraft and instruments, and a speaker at aviation functions.
In 2015, Mr. Norris received the FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award for his skills in aviation and safe operations for over 50 years.
- Butler University, 1967
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, 1971
- State of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Court of Appeals
- Kahf v. Charleston South Apartments,
461 N.E.2d 723 (Ind. Ct. App. 1984).
Beresford v. Starkey,
563 N.E.2d 116 (Ind. Ct. App. 1990).
Gilliam v. Contractors United, Inc.,
648 N.E.2d 1236 (Ind. Ct. App. 1995).
Brown Flying School, Inc. v. Terre Haute Int'l Airport Authority,
911 N.E.2d 735 (Ind. Ct. App. 2009).
Meridian Mut. Ins. Co. v. Purkey,
769 N.E.2d 1179 (Ind. Ct. App. 2002).
Daimler Chrysler Corp. v. Graves Sheet Metal,
827 N.E.2d 607 (Ind. Ct. App. 2005).
Ag One Co-op v. Scott,
914 N.E.2d 860 (Ind. Ct. App. 2009).
Indiana Supreme Court
- Biddle v. BAA Indianapolis, LLC,
860 N.E.2d 570 (Ind. 2007).
7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Bateman v. Central Foundry Div., General Motors Corp.,
992 F.2d 722 (7th Cir. 1993).
- Indianapolis Law Club
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation, 2015
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Defense Research Institute
- National Transportation Safety Board Bar
- International Society of Air Safety Investigators
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Member
- Co-Author of monograph, "Aviation and the Law" (1975)
- Co-Author of monograph, "Aviation Litigation" (1986; 1994)
- Author, "Passenger Rights and Airline Travel" (2001)
- Author, "Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct: In An Agency Setting" (2002)
- Author, "Nuances of Aircraft Litigation" (2003)
- Author, "Assorted Musings Concerning Jurisdiction and Ancillary Issues in Aviation Cases" (2006)