Bruce L. Kamplain is a partner at Norris Choplin Schroeder LLP and a member of the firm’s insurance, environmental and toxic tort practice groups. A registered civil mediator, Mr. Kamplain has over 35 years experience resolving disputes using a variety of litigation avoidance techniques including alternative dispute resolution, mediation, arbitration and dispositive motion.
He has litigated matters before state and federal courts throughout Indiana, and has argued more than 28 appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. He has also argued before the Indiana Supreme Court.
Mr. Kamplain is a Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate and a Certified Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy®. He was named a Super Lawyer® by Law & Politics magazine in 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, and 2017 for his work in insurance coverage litigation, and is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Mr. Kamplain was also selected as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in “Mass Torts Law”.
Mr. Kamplain served as a Deputy Indiana Attorney General from 1978-1985. In 1987, he was named honorary Attorney General and Advocate of the State of Indiana by Attorney General Linley E. Pearson.
Mr. Kamplain is an avid, award winning nature and wildlife photographer and volunteers as a deacon and on-call photographer for Geist Christian Church, a Disciples of Christ Church. He is married and has two daughters.
- Hanover College, 1973
- American University, Honors Political Science Program, Washington, DC, 1972
- Indiana University School of Law at Indianapolis, 1977
- State of Indiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- Mr. Kamplain has litigated complex commercial cases involving environmental pollution liability, asbestos, diacetyl, chemical exposure, toxic tort, products liability, construction defects, pharmaceuticals, fabric flammability, underground storage tank and reinsurance issues.
Represents international, national, regional and local property and casualty insurers, and reinsurers, as either lead counsel or local counsel for national law firms in all aspects of insurance coverage litigation, with emphasis on environmental and toxic tort claims.
Represents clients in relation to environmental law, including advising and defending clients in negotiations and litigation with U.S. EPA, U.S. Department of Justice, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and related administrative, court and appellate proceedings.
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, former chairman of Insurance Coverage Section Indianapolis Law Club
- American Bar Association (Air and Space Law, Energy and Environmental Law, Litigation, Natural Resources and Torts and Insurance Practice Sections)
- American Association of Justice (Associate Member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Environmental Law and Litigation Sections)
- Avvo Rating of 10.0